FW: The ground-nowhere hypothesis on the origin of bird flight (joke)

 <1255386695.4ad3ae4741365@webmail.chariot.com.au>

If Archie's adult size is postulated at Raven-sized=2C would
that not work? I imagine the sickle claw would be much larger=20
in an adult.

> Date: Tue=2C 13 Oct 2009 09:31:35 +1100
> From: dannj@alphalink.com.au
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: FW: The ground-nowhere hypothesis on the origin of bird flig=
ht (joke)

> On Tue=2C Oct 13th=2C 2009 at 7:37 AM=2C dale mcinnes wrote:
>

>> The birds I mentioned do pounce from trees. Sure. Their hunting
>> range has greatly expanded because of their highly evolved modern
>> capabilities. They can also fly after their prey.
>>
>> Any proavis as you would point out would have a fraction of that=3D20
>> range but doesn't make it any less viable.
>
> It would seem to me that the primary use for wings (in extant avians anyw=
ay) is to *slow* the rate
> at which the creature plumets to the ground=2C or to actively reverse the=
 direction of travel and move
> upwards against gravity.
>
> I'd think any creature that dropped on it's victims from any decent heigh=
t would want to be moving
> as fast as possible=2C and not be slowed in their descent. If a light-wei=
ght such as Archie was
> to 'gently' flutter/glide down onto it's prey=2C not only would the prey =
have plenty of time to move out
> of the way=2C but the resulting impact of said light-weight moving at a r=
educed speed would be like
> trying to beat someone to death with a feather pillow (fun=2C but ultimat=
ely pointless).

> Pouncing onto prey cat- or fox-style (with a near-vertical leap) only wor=
ks if you hit hard and fast.
> http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1220/1475048226_86b49e9b4b.jpg
>

> --
>
> Dann Pigdon
> GIS / Archaeologist Australian Dinosaurs
> Melbourne=2C Australia http://home.alphalink.com.au/~dannj
>                                         =0A=
Click less=2C chat more: Messenger on MSN.ca=0A=
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9677404=