RE: Tyrannosaur specimen identification?

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of Bruce Woollatt
>
> Hi all;
>
> I'm wondering about the status of a particular tyrannosaur
> skull: AMNH 5434. It is identified as Gorgosaurus libratus in
> Mathew and Brown 1923 (see it here
> http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspace/handle/2246/3207 ) and
> in Guilmore's 1946 G.lancensis paper, but I'm wondering if
> it's actually Daspletosaurus. The tooth count seems high for
> Gorgo and there is no suborbital process on the postorbital
> bone. It looks a lot like the Field Museum's FMNH PR308 which
> used to be classified as Albertosaurus libratus but is now
> considered (I believe) Daspletosaurus sp.

It ought to look a lot like FMNH PR308; it IS now FMNH PR308 (its new number
when the Field acquired the specimen from the AMNH). And yes, Carr
demonstrated it was a Daspletosaurus skull.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/