RE: Shameless paper request, and a naive question

> From: Michael Erickson <tehdinomahn@live.com>
>
> Naive Question:
>
> In the paper I am requesting, isn't it determined that
> _Nanotyrannus_ is an adult, due to full ossification of the
> cranial elements? If this is the case, how can _Nanotyrannus_
> be a juvenile at all, let alone a juvenile _Tyrannosaurus
> rex_? Is there some kind of awesome paper I'm missing? And if
> there is, does said paper CONVINCINGLY refute Bakker,
> Williams, and Currie's claim the cranial elements are fully ossified?

Required reading before anyone comments on the Nanotyrannus question:

Carr, Thomas D. (1999). "Craniofacial ontogeny in Tyrannosauridae
(Dinosauria, Coelurosauria)". Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 19 (3):
497-520.

Carr, T.D. and T.E. Williamson. 2005.  "Diversity of Late Maastrichtian
Tyrannosauridae (Dinosauria, Theropoda)": Zoological Journal of the Linnean
Society, v.142, pp.479-523. (PDF:
http://www.nmnaturalhistory.org/science/curators/Williamson_pdfs/CarrWilliam
2004.pdf)

Seriously, without reading these you are basically just commenting on the
popular press.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216