RE: Novas, Age of Dinos in S.A., pg 203 figure D

 <958fcd230910130636l1b3c5d22n96e325fb76a126b9@mail.gmail.com>

Mike Taylor wrote:

<Common misconception=2C enshrined in names like Seismosaurus ("Earth-shake=
r lizard") and indeed Sauroposeidon and Xenoposeidon (Poseidon being the Gr=
eek god of. among other things=2C earthquakes). I don't know of ANY animal =
that makes a loud noise in normal locomotion -- elephants=2C for example=2C=
 walk very quietly -- and I can't think of any reason to expect that saurop=
ods would have been any different. A loud noise means a strong and sudden i=
mpact=2C which is NOT what you want to do to your feet if you weigh 50 tonn=
es.>

Mike=2C

=A0 I'm mildly interested in this line of thinking. Would you care to specu=
late on why or how a multi-tonne animal can move quietly despite the potent=
ial force it can generate with its movement?=A0 I have never been clear on =
the mitigating properties of the organism (presumably=2C the fleshy pads he=
lp=2C but we are talking about animals with limbs [much less the whole anim=
al] much closer to the weight of elephants here).=A0 As an analogue=2C the =
movement of a multi-tonne bus (around 30=2C I beleive) right outside my apa=
rtment (second storey) causes the building to quaver=2C although I also ass=
ume this is part of its disruptive airflow pulling behind it=3B this would =
also be analogous to not just a step impact but also a movement causing air=
 disruption and wake.

=A0 Cheers=2C

Jaime A. Headden

"Innocent=2C unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969)

"Human beings=2C who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from =
the experience of others=2C are also remarkable for their apparent disincli=
nation to do so." --- Douglas Adams (Last Chance to See)

"Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different lan=
guage and a new way of looking at things=2C the human race has had a dream:=
 to kill him=2C so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of lo=
oking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
                                          =0A=
Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection.=0A=
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/=