Re: Dinosaurs Decoded

> > Besides, Bakker doesn't seem to know what "theory"
> means. Calling the growth
> > series idea a hypothesis (as you did), or even a
> speculation, would have
> > been much more appropriate ("speculation" would have
> had the added bonus,
> > for Bakker, of sounding somewhat derogative, even
> though it's a technical
> > term like any other); a theory is something big and
> overarching...

There is a different school of thought on that, one I personally find more
useful. I was taught that speculations aren't testable, but a hypothesis is. A
hypothesis that has been accepted by testing then becomes a theory. The
distinction between large and small theories was addressed by use of a capital
"T".