Re: Novas, Age of Dinos in S.A., pg 203 figure D

Impact sounds are produced not by force (weight) but by energy -- the
sudden deceleration of the foot hitting the ground hard, with kinetic
energy transformed to (in part) sound energy.  Animals just don't do
that when they're walking (though obviously when running it's a
different matter).  Next time you see a herd of cattle walking along a
dirt track, listen for the hooves.  They're not loud.