Re: Novas, Age of Dinos in S.A., pg 203 figure D

> A Futalognkosaur ilia.

 My brain hurts just trying to imagine how that word is pronounced.

This is very easy to explain (and I think I've done so onlist at least once): the spelling is an error.

The "gn" part should be an ordinary "ng". We're looking at the same word that has given us *Loncosaurus*.

Maybe the Mapudungun = Mapuzungun language distinguishes _nk_ from _ngk_ (something that doesn't ever happen in European languages, but is common in Aboriginal Australian ones, for instance); at least one of its modern orthographies apparently does or pretends to. Apparently, whoever named *Futalo"gn"kosaurus* wasn't able to wrap their minds around this and... maybe thought an Italian-/French-style _gn_ was involved (perhaps aided by the fact that the corresponding sound, which is also that of Spanish ñ, _also_ exists in Mapu{d|z}ungun, just not in the word _longko_ = "chief").

The ggggut-wrrrrrenching part is that it seems that the embarrassing spelling must stay embarrassing forever and must not be corrected, because corrections are only allowed (and required) when there's evidence _from within the publication itself_ that an error has occurred, and, depending on how narrowly "evidence" is defined, it's probably not there. http://www.iczn.org/iczn/index.jsp

...So let me just deal with the easy part: _ilia_ is a plural, and its singular is _ilium_.