Re: A new term for "missing link"

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Ian Paulsen <birdbooker@zipcon.net> wrote:
> HI ALL:
> ÂAfter reading your comments about the term "missing link", I was trying
> to come up with a new term to use and thought of "Keystone Fossil". I got
> the idea from the ecological term "Keystone Species." Any comments?

I think that would be too confusing, given its ecological meaning.

Also, unlike a keystone species, there isn't necessarily anything
intrinsically significant about these specimens. They are significant,
but that's due to the history of discovery, not due to anything
inherent in the specimens themselves. Subjective significance, not
objective significance.
--
T. Michael Keesey
Glendale, California