Re: A new term for "missing link"

The term 'transitional form' might be a bit better - although I personally
don't like it. Evolution
doesn't have an end result in mind, so there's no such thing as an 'inbetween'
condition. It's only
when we try to define arbitrary groups, and then find something that blurs the
line between them,
that we refer to something as 'transitional'. It's only transitional relative
to our arbitrary groupings.
Change the definitions of the groupings, and you can change a fossil's
'transitional' status.

*Every* living thing that had ancestors and decendants (or could have
decendants in the case of
living organisms) is a 'transitional' form of some sort. However at least the
term 'transitional form'
avoids the contradiction of a 'missing' link that has been found (and therefore
isn't missing at all).

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist                Australian Dinosaurs