To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:29 AM
Subject: Advice and a New Paper

If I might...  If you're going to be snippy, especially in public, you
should be extra cautious about the things you're asserting as facts.
For instance, it's not a good idea to state:

 I have not actually been talking about _sounds_, nor apparently was
 the person you initially responded to when you brought up "earth
 shaking," "earthquakes," etc.

when trying to end a thread that effectively began:

] It would be amazing to see one of these animals alive.  I wonder
] what the sound was like when they walked by on earth

and the initial response to the earth shaking message included:

} Well, I wasn't expecting a huge thumping noise but a four-foot wide or
} wider foot coming down in scrub foilage had to be a bit noisy

Of course I suspect everyone here is familiar with the Jurassic Park
scene showing the vibrations in the cup as the tyrannosaur was walking
some tens of meters away.  Great drama.  Horrible science (as Nick
implied).  Yes, sound would propagate through the ground, and as
Martin indicated with his story about the wood, it would propagate
better than through air.  But the water in Ian Malcolm (Jeff
Goldblum)'s cup wouldn't be noticeably disturbed nor would he hear a
sound like someone pounding on drums.  And it's more than a little
unlikely that you'd hear much from sauropods walking by.  But speaking
of smacking thingss...