Re: Giant Impact Near India -- Not Mexico -- May Have Doomed Dinosaurs

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:54:57PM +0100, Mark Wildman  scripsit:
> Who would have thought it? Two giant asteroids hitting the planet at the
> same time. What are the odds?

Not that bad; asteroids do break up due to gravitational influence prior
to impact.

> And still more life forms were extinguished at the end of the Permian
> than at the end of the Cretaceous. Hmmm - the cynic in me regarding
> asteroid extinctions is getting a little more cynical every day......

Last I heard, the chronological correlation with the extinction and
bloody great hole in the Yucatan was pretty tight.  There's also the
point that asteroid impacts that happen to occur around the time there's
already major flood vulcanism going on seem to do more ecological
damage and produce extensive mass extinctions.

-- Graydon