Re: Advice and a New Paper

2009/10/15 Dora Smith <villandra@austin.rr.com>:
> According to
> http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/dinosaurs/questions/QnsDinoSpecies.shtml,
> brachiosaurus weighed the same.   No, not quite.   Brachiosaurus weighed
> 80,000 TONS.   Not 80,000 pounds.  Now, I'm really finding that hard to
> believe.
> http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/dinosaurs/dinos/Brachiosaurus.shtml

Dora (and others),

I went into some detail on various "Brachiosaurus" (really
Giraffatitan) mass estimates in the SV-POW! post discussing the very
speculative length and mass of Xenoposeidon:
http://svpow.wordpress.com/2007/11/18/xenoposeidon-week-day-4-the-question-everyone-is-asking-how-big-was-it/

The bottom line is that PUBLISHED mass estimates in the last 30 years
alone have ranged from 15 to 74 tonnes --a factor of five.  That's not
for different individuals of the same species, but for the very same
individual, the lectotype HMN SII.  Although we can do rather better
than that, it's still the case that estimating the masses of extinct
animals is a horribly speculative process.  The most I'd be confident
in saying about SII is that estimates below 20 tonnes or above 40
tonnes are probably wrong.