RE: Dinosaur smell

Crocs hunt sweating, stinky mammals, with all kinds of smelling stuff caked on
their hair.

As to theropods.... well either they needed better senses of smell because
their prey's smell was so faint (perhaps limited to really bad breath?),
or
they were always sniffing for a free meal - ie stinking carrion,
or
They were sniffing for fresh dung if - if the wind carries the smell of fresh
droppings (I assume herbivore and carnivore dropping smelled distinctly
different), it may know that just upwind of it, there was a grazing, pooping
group of potential prey.
or,
Territory marking with urine? is this known in any reptile? I could easily see
how this behavior could be lost in a flying group (as marking territory becomes
an untenable proposition), but mammals/synapsids have fairly derived glands for
scent marking, that reptiles lack, to my knowledge.

The prey itself may not need to smell, for smell to be useful in locating prey