FW: Dinosaur smell

 <176836.41374.qm@web63801.mail.re1.yahoo.com>

Ever been in a chicken coop??? Worse than rotting fish and=20
the chickens are alive!!! --dale

> Date: Sat=2C 17 Oct 2009 15:23:12 -0700
> From: erikboehm07@yahoo.com
> To: augustoharo@gmail.com=3B martin.baeker@tu-bs.de=3B sherekhanjunior@ho=
tmail.com
> CC: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: RE: Dinosaur smell
>
> Crocs hunt sweating=2C stinky mammals=2C with all kinds of smelling stuff=
 caked on their hair.

> As to theropods.... well either they needed better senses of smell becaus=
e their prey's smell was so faint (perhaps limited to really bad breath?)=
=2C
> or
> they were always sniffing for a free meal - ie stinking carrion=2C
> or
> They were sniffing for fresh dung if - if the wind carries the smell of f=
resh droppings (I assume herbivore and carnivore dropping smelled distinctl=
y different)=2C it may know that just upwind of it=2C there was a grazing=
=2C pooping group of potential prey.
> or=2C
> Territory marking with urine? is this known in any reptile? I could easil=
y see how this behavior could be lost in a flying group (as marking territo=
ry becomes an untenable proposition)=2C but mammals/synapsids have fairly d=
erived glands for scent marking=2C that reptiles lack=2C to my knowledge.

> The prey itself may not need to smell=2C for smell to be useful in locati=
ng prey

New: Messenger sign-in on the MSN homepage
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9677403=