Re: science eduction

The first essay in Carl Sagan's Demon-Haunted World states the case close
to what I agree with: most Americans actually have a great interest in
science or science-like topics: hence the popularity of shows like
Mythbusters and the like. They just don't know what science IS. So they
are instead hooked in by anything that purports to be science or
science-like (and thus the love and attraction to pseudoscience in its
various manifestations).

The real problem with science education--indeed, with a lot of education
in general--is the lack of teaching of critical thinking skills starting
at an early age and continuing throughout.

--
Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084

http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc