Re: science eduction

<begin mini-rant>
It's much more complex than the schools don't do it. We expect the schools to
do too many things, particularly in the K-12 years. Schools are complex
institutions, facing a wide variety of pressures, trying to educate a
tremendously diverse population, and allocated limited time and resources. What
teacher in their right mind is going to invest a lot of effort into encouraging
critical thinking -- which if done right encourages students to question the
teacher -- when the teacher's continued employment depends not on enlightening
the students but on getting them to perform on standardized tests?

The outside world, including family, friends, community, the media, and the
whole "popular culture", plays a tremendous role in the lives of students, and
in their education. I was just reading the first chapters of Adrian Desmond and
Jame Moore's biography of Darwin, and they didn't show Darwin's curiosity
coming from his formal education. We live in different times, of course, but
it's not just the schools that are making us intellectually as well as
physically flabby.  There are no quick and easy fixes.

<end mini-rant>

--
Jeff Hecht, science & technology writer
jeff@jeffhecht.com or jhecht@nasw.org