RE: Neovenatoridae and Megaraptora: now it can be told!

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of David Marjanovic
>
> >  Tim Williams and myself have suggested the possibility *Rapator*
> > repr= esents a pdI-1 phalanx of an alvarezsaurian (possibly a
> > mononykid=2C based = on morphology=2C but this is even more
> > far-fetched due to biogeography reas= ons).
>
> A mononykine would be far-fetched, but an alvarezsaurid in
> general would not be -- South America and Australia weren't
> isolated from each other.

I have published (in Dinosauria II) my speculation that Rapator is a giant
early alvarezsaurid. However, now that I have a cast of the specimen, and
with the information of megaraptorans in hand (as it were), I reject my
earlier speculation and much more strongly support Rapator as a basal
tetanurine, possibly a megaraptoran.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216