RE: Giant Impact Near India -- Not Mexico -- May Have Doomed Dinosaurs

On Tue, Oct 20th, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Mark Wildman  <mwildman@saurian.org> wrote:

> I'm sort of curious here (extinction not a pet subject of mine), but if the
> original Mexican impact was (allegedly) responsible for large global
> extinctions, and I believe that over 70% of all life was eliminated at the
> KT boundary, then the implications of a much larger asteroid hitting the
> planet at the same time, or even if there was a gap of a few hundred or a
> few thousand years, would, on the face of it, more or less eliminate life on
> earth. Survivors from the original impact struggling to recover, hit by a
> second catastrophe, would surely succumb? No?

Especially since India appears to have been in the southern hemisphere at the
time. That would put
a large impact in both hemispheres, which would seem to have left little in the
way of a southern
refuge (from which it's thought that extant birds owe their ancestory).

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist                Australian Dinosaurs