RE: Science education

After living the bulk of my adult life in various college towns on the west
coast, I moved to a small, quite geographically isolated, northwestern Montana
town a few years ago.

I cannot count the number of times that local residents will preface a comment
with "I don't have one of those fancy college educations, but.....".

In some parts of America, being what is commonly called a "simple person" is
considered a form of flattery.  There is a general mistrust of what are
considered to be "elitists".  Conformity to local standards is also highly
regarded here.  The bar often gets set quite low in some parts of America, be
it in a isolated small town or an impoverished inner city neighborhood.

I think the root of the problem is a cultural one, and is not due to not one
particular cause.

<pb>

Save $10 on Flowers and Gifts!
Shop now at www.ftd.com/16714
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/Dh4GRqUZkwZRwOiLuvr9wSrRWB9UiILLxdIuhAPDjR3KLXjZZDlpjP47Tbi/
*    This Mail List at USC.EDU only accepts PLAIN TEXT    *