Re: Dinosaur "spikes"

2009/10/21 Ezra Toranosuke <sherekhanjunior@hotmail.com>:
> I was wondering which types of dinosaurs are known to have had that
> so-classic row of iguana-like spikes on their backs. I know that Diplodocus
> had them, and it seems that Edmontosaurus and Ceratosaurus did too.
> But are there any others? And what about those reconstructions that show
> Triceratops with osteoderms on its back?

No, you don't know that Diplodocus had them.  Czerkas (1994) described
fourteen dermal spines found in the Howe Quarry, but among these only
ones associated with skeletal remains were found with uninformative
rod-like distal caudals that could have belonged to any diplodocoid,
or indeed almost any sauropod.  So while it is certainly possible that
Diplodocus had "that so-classioc row of iguana-like spines on their
backs", all we actually KNOW is that SOMETHING had spines on the
distal part of its tail.