Re: Dinosaur "spikes"

It has become extremely fashionable now to depict EVERY dinosaur with dermal spines these days. There are a couple instances of them, as in some hadrosaurs, but if we are going by what most fossil integument is proven to exist than feathers would be a winner by a long shot. As cool as dinos look with spiky mohawks and poky little bits jutting out of every dorso-ventral midline surface possible one must be wary of what is in fashion and what is known. In my own work this has been a struggle because dinosaurs almost seem 'naked' without them! I think some would even dispute the psittacosaur quills (?) which is the basis for many later ceratopsians having spines and quills. The new Triceratops skin impressions do show signs of "something" growing out of the large osteoderms on its back...so at least thats exciting. Funny this would come up right now, I was preparing a post regarding the reasons for midline integuments/ornamentation on animals in general. Clear silhouettes? easy recognition? Protection?