RE: Dinosaur "spikes"

 <420F8120-6E93-46FF-95B7-0AED2CEBF92E@charter.net>

Hi list members=2C=20
=20
I once stumbled on an old 1917 Brown Paper whilst researching for a ceratop=
sian painting and it describes some dermal structures (spines? or am I misi=
nterpreting?) for Monoclonius.

Here is the description=2C=20
=20
''...another specimen=2C No. 5430=2C probably this genus=2C seven dermal pl=
ates were preserved=2C all similar in form=2C symmetrical and about equal i=
n size. Each is characterized by a narrow=2C elongate base and a high=2C me=
dian center. They are about an inch wide=2C an inch and a half long and an =
inch and a half high. In that specimen the pelvis=2C a part of the tail=2C =
and the hind limbs are preserved and the plates were probably located above=
 the spines in the caudal region similar to those of Ceratosaurus.''

There are no images of them=2C does anyone know anymore about them?=20
=20
Thanks=2C
Steve
=20

> Date: Wed=2C 21 Oct 2009 00:20:50 -0700
> From: ddkrentz@charter.net
> To: mike@indexdata.com
> CC: sherekhanjunior@hotmail.com=3B dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: Dinosaur "spikes"
>=20
> It has become extremely fashionable now to depict EVERY dinosaur with=20
> dermal spines these days. There are a couple instances of them=2C as in=20
> some hadrosaurs=2C but if we are going by what most fossil integument is=
=20
> proven to exist than feathers would be a winner by a long shot. As=20
> cool as dinos look with spiky mohawks and poky little bits jutting out=20
> of every dorso-ventral midline surface possible one must be wary of=20
> what is in fashion and what is known. In my own work this has been a=20
> struggle because dinosaurs almost seem 'naked' without them!
> I think some would even dispute the psittacosaur quills (?) which=20
> is the basis for many later ceratopsians having spines and quills.=20
> The new Triceratops skin impressions do show signs of "something"=20
> growing out of the large osteoderms on its back...so at least thats=20
> exciting.
> Funny this would come up right now=2C I was preparing a post=20
> regarding the reasons for midline integuments/ornamentation on animals=20
> in general. Clear silhouettes? easy recognition? Protection?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On Oct 21=2C 2009=2C at 12:06 AM=2C Mike Taylor wrote:
>=20
>> 2009/10/21 Ezra Toranosuke <sherekhanjunior@hotmail.com>:
>>> I was wondering which types of dinosaurs are known to have had that=20
>>> so-classic row of iguana-like spikes on their backs. I know that=20
>>> Diplodocus had them=2C and it seems that Edmontosaurus and=20
>>> Ceratosaurus did too.
>>> But are there any others? And what about those reconstructions that=20
>>> show Triceratops with osteoderms on its back?
>>
>> No=2C you don't know that Diplodocus had them. Czerkas (1994) described
>> fourteen dermal spines found in the Howe Quarry=2C but among these only
>> ones associated with skeletal remains were found with uninformative
>> rod-like distal caudals that could have belonged to any diplodocoid=2C
>> or indeed almost any sauropod. So while it is certainly possible that
>> Diplodocus had "that so-classioc row of iguana-like spines on their
>> backs"=2C all we actually KNOW is that SOMETHING had spines on the
>> distal part of its tail.
>                                        =20
Stay in touch with your friends through Messenger on your mobile
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/174426567/direct/01/=