Re: At long last: Fruitadens!!

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. <tholtz@umd.edu> wrote:

> Ummm... From Bakker 1990 (Hunteria 2(7), p. 12):
>
> "A slightly larger Drinker specimen, CPS 197, shows nearly complete
> coalescence of the centrum-arch suture, thereby estalishing an adult total
> length of slightly less than 2.0 m."
>
> And he estimated the length of the type (earlier that same paragraph) at
> within 7% of 1.36 m.
>
> So Drinker is a MUCH larger animal.

And the type specimen is a subadult.

Micropachycephalosaurus is also a bit over a meter long.

I was just trying to think of an extant analogue for a (relatively)
little, spine-covered omnivorous dinosaur, and thought of hedgehogs.
Suddenly I realized how prescient the name "Echinodon" ("hedgehog
tooth") was! (Echinodon was named for the spines on its teeth, but it
turns out that the rest of the animal was probably covered in quills,
at least if it was like its relative Tianyulong.)

--
T. Michael Keesey
Glendale, California