Re: Dinosaur "spikes"

Oops, yes David M, they are not osteoderms, but large scales. Nothing has been formerly published on the skin, but I've seen lots of pictures. I'm just an artist, so I'll refrain from describing the skin in any more detail on this forum. The skin was described on a poster at SVP about 2-3(?) years ago. I've been waiting for the paper ever since!

On Oct 21, 2009, at 8:07 AM, Ezra Toranosuke wrote:

<420F8120-6E93-46FF-95B7-0AED2CEBF92E@charter.net>

"Something growing out of the large osteoderms on its back"?! :O This is co=
mpletely new for me! Would you please tell me more about it?

Date: Wed=2C 21 Oct 2009 00:20:50 -0700
From: ddkrentz@charter.net
To: mike@indexdata.com
CC: sherekhanjunior@hotmail.com=3B dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Dinosaur "spikes"

It has become extremely fashionable now to depict EVERY dinosaur with
dermal spines these days. There are a couple instances of them=2C as in some hadrosaurs=2C but if we are going by what most fossil integument is
proven to exist than feathers would be a winner by a long shot. As
cool as dinos look with spiky mohawks and poky little bits jutting out
of every dorso-ventral midline surface possible one must be wary of
what is in fashion and what is known. In my own work this has been a
struggle because dinosaurs almost seem 'naked' without them!
I think some would even dispute the psittacosaur quills (?) which
is the basis for many later ceratopsians having spines and quills.
The new Triceratops skin impressions do show signs of "something"
growing out of the large osteoderms on its back...so at least thats
exciting.
Funny this would come up right now=2C I was preparing a post
regarding the reasons for midline integuments/ornamentation on animals
in general. Clear silhouettes? easy recognition? Protection?