Forwarded from Richard Butler

With regards to yesterday's discussion of Fruitadens, the first author
asked me to forward the following. Michael Erickson has already replied to
me that he was mistaken--and sorry--about his rant yesterday.  Butler
wanted a chance to more fully explain the size issue in Drinker,
Fruitadens, etc.

-----------

Dear members of the DML;

I am glad to see that our recent paper on the new heterodontosaurid
Fruitadens has been the subject of discussion and debate; however, I
felt that I had to respond to comments by list member Michael Erickson
in which he accuses us (the authors of the paper) of lying and
unethical behaviour. There is absolutely no evidence to support these
allegations.

In his accusation, Michael Erickson suggested that Robert Bakker had
estimated a body length of 25 cm for the small ornithopod Drinker
nisti, and that we had ignored this. This claim is a complete
falsehood. Drinker nisti was described by Bakker et al. (1990). On
pages 12-14 Bakker et al. say:

"The linear dimensions of the type of Drinker are nearly all within
+/- 7% of those given by Galton for the subadult Hypsilophodon
specimen BMNH R196 (Galton, 1974), an animal 1.36m long, snout to tail
tip. The type of Drinker is not fully adult; all the arches had
separated from the centra in the dorsal and anterior caudal vertebrae.
A slightly larger Drinker specimen, CPS 197, shows nearly complete
coalescence of the centrum-arch suture, thereby establishing an adult
total length of slightly less than 2.0 m."

Thus Bakker estimated a body size range of 1.36-2 metres for Drinker,
very significantly larger than the 65-75 cm that we estimated for
Fruitadens. I have no idea where Michael Erickson got his information
from, but it is wrong. Foster (2003) estimated a mass of just under
10kg for Drinker, again much larger than our 0.75 kg estimate for
Fruitadens.

Bakker et al. went on to discuss the material of Fruitadens
("exceedingly small ornithopods from the Morrison at Fruita") and
suggest that it might represent juveniles. Our histological analyses
indicate that growth was beginning to slow in the largest individuals,
and that they were probably close to adult size. The ESM of our paper
contains a discussion of body size in all other ornithischians. We
acknowledge in the paper and the ESM that the heterodontosaurids
Echinodon and Tianyulong might be of similar size to Fruitadens, but
at present we don't have good data on the ontogenetic stage of these
taxa.

Thanks to Tom Holtz for already pointing much of this out, and
apologies for reiterating his comments. In light of the very strongly
worded and false nature of the attack I felt a brief response was
necessary.

If anyone wants further information on Fruitadens and our research
please feel free to contact me.

All the best,

Richard