Re: Law Abiding New Papers

Quoting Jocelyn Falconnet <j.falconnet@gmail.com>:

2009/10/23 David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>:
I'll probably be able to read the paper in a few hours...

 According to Knoll, the species name_dangershoeki_ should have been
 _dangershoekensis_, and a whole paragraph is devoted to this issue.
 I agree, but it would seem to be entirely academic.

I don't even agree. There's just no reason not to form the genitive of a
place name. Sure, the adjective ending -ensis would have made it unambiguous
that Dangershoek is a place name, and could therefore be seen as preferable,
but that's all.

That's not the matter. There is no gender in Afrikaans, so there is NO
reason to choose the masculine ending ("-i"). The objection of Knoll
is justified: in order to respect the original genderless character of
Dangershoek, Butler should have chosen a more "neutral" suffix. The
ending "-ensis"/"-ense" are still problematic, though (the former for
masculine or feminine/the latter for neuter)

Why is -ensis/-e problematic? The -is vs. -e depends on the gender of the *genus name* (I'm looking at you, *Aerosteon*), not the gender of the noun to which -ensis/-e is attached. *Stormbergia* is, I think, unambiguously feminine, so the ending would unambiguously be -ensis.

Actually, it doesn't matter that Afrikaans doesn't have gender. The name is being ported over into Latin, and every Latin noun, regardless of its origin, has to have a gender. Probably the most graceful way of doing it would be to Latinize the place name with -ia, then use the genitive of that, making "dangershoekiae". But "dangershoeki" isn't so terrible.

What bugs me more is *Guanlong wucaii*. "Wu cai" is explicitly plural (it means 'five colors'), so the species name should arguably be "wucaiorum". This is a mess that really could have been sidestepped by using -ensis instead.

Nicholas J. Pharris