Re: FW: Even more concerning the Triceratops/Torosaurus deal

Dale McInnes <wdm1949@hotmail.com> wrote:

> If memory serves me correctly did not Jensen from BYU
> excavate a
> 9 foot skull of a Trike from Montana back in the 80s and
> wasn't
> this larger than any Torosaurus skull known to date??

I'm not sticking my oar in either way on the Trike/Toro issue, but I will
mention in passing that the type skull of _Monoclonius lowei_ (NMC 8790) is at
least as large as the skull of an adult _Centrosaurus_.  Yet, the _M. lowei_
skull has been regarded as coming from an immature/subadult individual (Sampson
et al., 1997).  I know there are differing views on the validity of
_Monoclonius_ (some raised here recently), but it's clear that size alone can't
be used to determine ontogenetic stage (subadult vs adult).  At least not when
different specimens are concerned, anyway.

Cheers

Tim