Re: Leaned something new! RE: Some Data ....

On Sat, Oct 31st, 2009 at 4:58 AM, B tH <soylentgreenistrex@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I never have heard that fossils could be in such
> a condition.  I have seen some rocks that were easily
> crunched up by hand - must be along the same lines.
> When things like this occur, is it due to something that
> has happened to the fossil "recently" - how could it
> have survived up till now in such a state?

I suspect most 'oatmeal' fossils are due to chemical changes that have
occured while they were in the upper soil layers. They were probably
much harder for most of their fossil 'life', otherwise you'd think that
pressure put on them at any decent depth would squish them beyond
recognision. Keep in mind that even solid and apparently hard bone can
gradually 'flow' under immense pressures, resulting in distortion of the
fossil.

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist                Australian Dinosaurs