RE: Herrerasaurus ... again

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of B tH
>
> Does anyone know of any recent work done on the "direct"
> ancestor of this early dino?
>
> I'm intrigued by this guy because he was so (relatively) big.
>  If H is considered one of the earliest known dinos, then
> there must be something still in the ground or undescribed at
> this point that indicates a smaller, earlier form, right?

Herrerasaurus, Eoraptor, Panphagia, and Pisanosaurus are all the same age,
and indeed from the same unit. At present there are know dinosaurs known
which are definitively older: they must exist, but haven't been found yet.

There are some intriguing footprints from Argentina in the Middle Triassic
that *might* be dinosaurian, but they could be from a close sister group (or
from yet another damn dino-mimic among the crurotarsans... No evidence for
that yet, but you can't trust those stem-crocs ;-).

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/