Re: How to Train Your New Papers

On 1 April 2010 19:50, Raptorial Talon <raptorialtalon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul, G.S., and Carpenter, K. 2010. Allosaurus Marsh, 1877 (Dinosauria,
> Theropoda): proposed conservation of usage by designation of a neotype for
> its type species Allosaurus fragilis Marsh, 1877. Bulletin of Zoological
> Nomenclature 67(1):53-56.
>
> What's the alternative? *Antrodemus*?

I've not seen this, but my guess is not that Allosaurus is under
threat from a potential JOS, but that the type material is
non-diagnostic and the genus is in practice treated as though the type
were some other, much better, specimen.  (This is pretty much what was
the case with Cetiosaurus, although that one was complicated by the
good material having been referred to a different species from the one
that was probably the type species.)