Diagnostic Material

  Greg Paul's recent notification of his and Carpenter's appeal to the ICZN has
left me with a question  (previously posted, but perhaps not pointed in the
right direction).

  I am rather intrigued by any use of "not diagnostic," or the conclusion that
a specimen is not complete enough to be diagnostic. This lends the very meaning
of the word "diagnostic" in question.

  I thus ask what, if any, definitions for the term "diagnostic" are available
for specimens (either as types, for referral phylogenetically, or determination
for completeness)? It seems a fairly important question that is both raised and
left out of the application by Paul and Carpenter, and I am sure there are
other people just as interested as I in this apparently important scientific,
yet seemingly underdefined term.

inbox.