RE: Cómo se dice nucleary synapsid e

> Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 04:03:16 -0500
> From: raptorialtalon@gmail.com
> To: keenir@hotmail.com
> CC: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: Cómo se dice nucleary synapsid e
>
> "I suggest you never watch the BBC, CNN, Xinghua, or any other news
> outlet/news channel where people speak with an accent. (though isn't
> paleontology exactly the wrong profession for you? after all, lots of
> people say the fossils' names differently)"
>
> Yippee-ki-ay. I'm referring to standard American English,

 again, full of accents.

> And if you look at other parts of this broader conversation, you'll
> see I make no attempt to claim any one pronunciation of a scientific
> name is correct.

strange; every time I've said {in this discussion} that not everyone pronounces
things the same way, you laugh at such people.

> This whole tangent has been perpetuated because no
> one, explicitly anyway, seems to get that it would be silly for
> reasonably learned and dignified men in the Pentagon to think that
> "newkiller" is somehow remotely sensible as a slang

nowhere in this discussion did I say it was slang.

> "it is NOT slang. I keep saying that this is how it sounds to my ear."
>
> How *what* sounds to your ear? "Newkiller?"

  once again, NO.  how the comment, _to which i replied_ sounded.  I had
intended it as humorous, but then you attacked it.

> If you mean "rifle," I've heard the southern/western "rah-ful," but
> Ry'leh? What? I've always heard that word pronounced with the accent
> on the second syllable, so "ryeFULL" sounds pretty silly to me.

 no, RYEfull

> And
> even if that's not your intent, "Ry'leh" doesn't have the same sounds
> as "rifle,"

R-long I-L-E

sort of like how "bottle" is pronounced without "t" by some folks.

inbox.