New exhibit at Smithsonian NMNH

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on this list for a couple of years, but have never posted
before.  I'm a volunteer at the new Dinosaur Park in Maryland (which some of
you may know as Muirkirk or even "Tom Lipka's site")  Here's an announcement I
received from Matt Carrano at the NMNH that I wanted to pass along:

Exhibit opening - April 28 - "Dinosaurs in Our Backyard"

Good afternoon,

I would like to cordially invite everyone to attend the opening of a new
permanent exhibition in the Paleobiology Halls, entitled "Dinosaurs in Our
Backyard," next Wednesday, April 28, at 11 a.m.  The exhibit will display
dinosaurs and other fossils from the DC area, and represents the culmination of
a collaborative effort between the NMNH, Maryland-National Capital Parks and
Planning Commission (M-NCPPC), and amateur fossil collectors from throughout
our area.  It is located in the rear of the main Dinosaur Hall, adjacent to the
FossiLab.

The exhibit is centered on specimens from our collections that were found at
the Muirkirk fossil site, located near Beltsville, Maryland and now preserved
by M-NCPPC as "Dinosaur Park."  These fossils document a terrestrial ecosystem
in Maryland from 110 million years ago, and include plants, fishes, reptiles,
dinosaurs, and mammals.  A vivid painting by Mary Parrish accompanies the
fossils and allows visitors to appreciate what these organisms might have
looked like in their living environment, which included some of the earliest
known flowering plants.

The display also features a new species of nodosaur (armored dinosaur),
represented by an unusual fossil of a juvenile individual that was donated by
Maryland resident Ray Stanford, and which will be designated as a type specimen
in a forthcoming publication.  The important work of local amateur collectors
is highlighted by several additional specimens on display and a series of wall
panels.  An accompanying wall-sized map shows every site where dinosaurs have
been found in North America, along with outcrops of Mesozoic-age rocks,
encouraging visitors to explore their own "backyard dinosaurs."

In the coming months, we will be developing a website that provides more detail
about the fossils and how scientists study and learn from them, along with
additional opportunities to explore the topics of the exhibition.

Please join us on Wednesday for a brief opening ceremony and a tour of the new
exhibit.

Dave Hacker

Information in this e-mail may be confidential. It is intended only for the
addressee(s) identified above. If you are not the addressee(s), or an employee
or agent of the addressee(s), please note that any dissemination, distribution,
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender of the error.