RE: Were dinosaur ecosystems continent-sized? (resend)

Yes, kind of.

On-going work by Nick Campione and others shows the Campanian form
(Edmontosaurus regalis) is morphologically distinct from the late
Maastrichtian form(s), which may represent two closely-related species
(Anatosaurus annectens and Anatotitan copei), or just one (of which
annectens has priority).

Taxonomically, one could use a single genus for the whole shebang; or one
could use Anatosaurus for the Lancian ones, or (if copei is deemed
sufficiently distinct to be considered a separate species) you could have
Edmontosaurus, Anatosaurus, and Anatotitan all.

Definite error.

> The list also suffers a bit from the usual lumper-splitter
> arguments; _Nanotyrannus_ is listed separately from
> _Tyrannosaurus_, while _Anatotitan_ is lumped with _Edmontosaurus_.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/