Re: SV: papers for archive.org

> Furthermore it is almost always possible to open later
> versions of pdf with earlier versions of Adobe Reader

I regularly encounter PDFs that *require* version 6 or 7.
Not sure why because they are just text. Unless you remember
to *change* the export settings when creating a PDF, newer
versions of Acrobat (and other PDF creaters) will export
the latest (i.e. less compatible) version by default.

For example, some of the recent JVP supplements *will not
open* in Acrobat Reader 5 (or earlier). They're just text
and tables (which may in fact just be images).

--- On Tue, 4/27/10, Tommy Tyrberg <tommy.tyrberg@norrkoping.mail.telia.com>
wrote:

> From: Tommy Tyrberg <tommy.tyrberg@norrkoping.mail.telia.com>
> Subject: SV: papers for archive.org
> To: turtlecroc@yahoo.com, dinosaur@usc.edu
> Date: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 3:02 PM
>
> I don't see this as a problem since
> you can choose in Acrobat Distiller
> which version of PDF to create. I usually use 1.5 (=Acrobat
> 5.0
> compatible). This is quite adequate for all normal needs
> and it is very
> unlikely that anyone still uses an earlier version than
> that.
> Furthermore it is almost always possible to open later
> versions of pdf
> with earlier versions of Adobe Reader. You get a warning
> that all
> features may not display correctly, but there is rarely any
> actual
> problems.
>
> Tommy Tyrberg

downloaded. Then