Re: papers for archive.org

On 28/04/2010, at 12:07 PM, Dann Pigdon wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28th, 2010 at 11:49 AM, "Richard W. Travsky" <rtravsky@uwyo.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Phillip Bigelow wrote:
>>> 100 years from now, there had better be something that can read ALL
>> pdf
>>> files, or this "archival" concept is a joke.
>>
>> Adobe Reader 75.0
>
> 'Google Adobe Reader 75.0' more likely.

Having worked in electronic archiving at one time, allow me to say that data
formats are transient anyway, and that material will be converted as a kind of
standing wave of information from one older format to a newer one, so long as
the formats are not proprietary and secret. PDF is relatively open, so except
for the proprietary features for Reader 75.0, the content will be revised into
some new format, such as EPub or DjVu periodically. Reliance on a single format
is both fragile and unnecessary.

So if you put it out in PDF, expect it to be converted to some other format in
due course.
--
John Wilkins, Assistant Professor, Philosophy, Bond Uni
john@wilkins.id.au