Re: NJSM Future (?)

Actually, it would probably not be a good idea to get the attavhments from Jason. As he says in his first paragraph, he doesn't want an obvious trail leading back to him.

We will be happy to send them to anyone who wants them

Bob and Tess
On Apr 28, 2010, at 1:10 PM, David Marjanovic wrote:

Rescued from truncation:

From: Jason Schein <scheijp@yahoo.com>
Date: April 27, 2010 9:44:29 PM EDT
To: undisclosed recipients: ;
Subject: NJSM Future (?)

   Dear friends and colleagues,

   I am starting to spread the word to the paleo community about =20
the very serious threats to the New Jersey State Museum that have =20
arisen recently. I would like to encourage you to do the same - to =20= spread the word to any of your friends and colleagues that have the =20=
slightest interest in anything the Museum does - education, fine =20
art, cultural history, archeology, and natural history =20
(paleontology, geology, ecology, etc., etc.). I have to be careful =20=
though - there doesn't need to be an easy/obvious trail leading =20
back to me.

I've been told that we (Museum staff) have to be careful about what =20= we say, partly because things are still undecided. What I can say =20 is that the governor has eliminated our budget for the next fiscal =20
year (which begins July 1st, 2010) and "proposed" that we be =20
absorbed by Rutgers University.  It appears right now that RU may =20
not want us (after all, they were cut by tens of millions of =20
dollars by the governor, and are being "given" 3 Trenton =20
institutions without any money to operate them). So, what happens =20
if Rutgers doesn't take us . . . ? ? ?  that remains to be =20
discussed.  There doesn't appear to be a backup plan, and we are =20
being completely left out of any discussions involving the Museum. =20= The governor's lawyers have been quoted in a recent public meeting =20 as saying that they "have no qualms about closing the Old Barracks =20 and the State Museum . . .", and I'm not 100% sure about this, but =20 I'm pretty sure they then followed that statement by saying " . . . =20=
and selling off the collections."  That would be the New Jersey =20
State Museum's collection - the State's treasures . . . which are =20
supposed to be owned by the people of New Jersey . . . many of =20
which were donated "to the people of New Jersey" - not the =20
governor.  These collections not only include priceless =20
paleontological specimens (multiple type specimens, rare eastern =20
dinosaurs, fossils of all ages collected on federal lands, dozens =20
of fossils that have been published on, taxidermy mounts of extinct =20= animals, etc.) but also Civil War battle flags, priceless works of =20
art, and an enormous collection of archaeological artifacts from =20
many of the most important sites in eastern North America.

The governor's proposals are not theoretical, hypothetical, or even =20= just scare tactics. They are public knowledge, and you can see for =20=
yourself on the attachments to this e-mail.
- 1st Attachment (03172010-key message): Page 2, 2nd paragraph =20
under "Making Tough Decisions"

- 2nd attachment (DOS-responses11): last line in table on page =20
2.Thanks for your help in spreading the word, but please, don't =20
simply forward this message so my name won't show up in a direct =20
chain of e-mails.

1 last thing for now - the Museum's present budget is a pathetic ~=20
$2.4 million.  That's about $0.25/person/YEAR in the 2nd richest =20
state (by per capita personal income) in the union.  If it can =20
happen here, it can happen anywhere.

Thank you in advance for your help.  If someone could sound the =20
alarm on the Dino and Vert paleo e-mails lists, I sure would =20
appreciate it.

Thanks a lot,
   Jason

The attachments, which of course didn't get through, are available from Schein upon request (according to another truncated e-mail).