Re: Is there a formal term for this?

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Jocelyn Falconnet
<j.falconnet@gmail.com> wrote:
> And all these species form the hypodigm of the genus.
> Also: let T, R, and H the number of Type species, Referred species,
> and number of species under the Hypodigm of the genus.
> By definition, T=1. Also, H=T+R=1+R or R=H-1.
>
> If you want to be strictly accurate, Saint Abyssal, you should also
> consider the species which have been synonymized.

Strictly speaking, species names are synonymized, not species. (The
species is, ostensibly, the actual entity, i.e., the population, and
the species name is the label we use to refer to it.) Thus, the number
of synonyms doesn't affect your formula.

(In practice, people do often use "species" when they mean "species name".)

--
T. Michael Keesey
Glendale, California