Re: Is there a formal term for this?

I don't think so. Synonymy is about comparing concepts. If several
concepts are considered as identical, THEN their names/labels are
synonymous. Taxonomic synonymy results then in taxon name synonymy.

So yes, it does affect my formula.

Today, species concepts are defined intensionally (by properties) and
not extensionally (by listing the objects these concepts encompass) as
you did Mike. The only entity actually to... let's say *Tyrannosaurus
rex* is by definition the onomatophore, the type, the name-bearing
specimen on which is based the species concept (here CMNH 9380). All
other specimens are merely referred to this concept. You were thus not
referring to the species, Mike, but to its hypodigm.

PS: I apologize in advance if my English is not or not quite
understandable. It is not so easy to explain in French so I hope I
used the adequate terms in my explanations. Please forgive an
unfortunate cheese-eating surrender monkey! ;-)

Anyway.

Cheers,

Jocelyn Falconnet

--