Rahiolisaurus vs Indosuchus (was Re: Nomen Dubium Misuse Part II- Gwyneddosaurus

Michael Mortimer <mickey_mortimer111@msn.com> wrote:

> Remember that post on Agnolin et al.'s paper where they
> used the term nomen dubium incorrectly for Rapator?

I remember a thread that followed on from that post, where I argued that
Agnolin et al. were quite correct in regarding _Rapator_ as a nomen dubium.  :-)

> Well,
> it seems Olsen has a similar issue with Gwyneddosaurus where
> he thinks it's clearly synonymous with a taxon he named
> later, and even
>  includes a diagnosic element, but wants to make it a nomen
> dubium so that his more complete specimen can be the
> name-bearer.

In this specific case, if the two genera are stated to be synonymous, and an
overlapping element is clearly diagnostic at the genus level, then the
older-named genus clearly has priority (_Gwyneddosaurus_ over _Tanytrachelos_).

Returning to dinosaurs, and given your opinions regarding what is or is not a
nomen dubium, I'm sure you'll be thrilled to bits with the latest paper by
Novas et al. (2010).  They describe a new theropod, _Rahiolisaurus
gujaratensis_, based on abundant abelisaurid material from the Lameta Formation
of Rahioli, India.  This material had previously been referred to _Indosuchus
raptorius_ by Chatterjee and Rudra (1996).  However, Novas et al. dismiss
_Indosuchus_ as a nomen dubium, with very little fanfare.  In their words:

"It is difficult to evaluate the taxonomic status and validity of Indian
abelisaurids, as most species have been established on the basis of fragmentary
remains.  This is the case for the abelisaurids _Lametasaurus indicus_ (Matley,
1923), _Indosuchus raptorius_ (Huene and Matley, 1933; Chatterjee, 1978), and
_Indosaurus matleyi_ (Huene and Matley, 1933; Chatterjee, 1978).  These Indian
abelisaurids have had a complex and checkered taxonomic history, already
reviewed in several recent papers (see Wilson et al., 2003; Novas et al., 2004;
Carrano and Sampson, 2008).  Unfortunately, the holotypic materials supporting
each of these taxa do not offer clear autapomorphic fea
fficult (if not impossible) to refer the several isolated bones collected in
the same quarry to any of the above mentioned species.  Moreover, many of the
specimens originally described by Matley (1923) and Huene and Matley
 (1933) are currently lost. [snip] Because of these problems, we believe that
_Lametasaurus indicus_, _Indosuchus raptorius_, and _Indosaurus matleyi_ must
be considered as nomina dubia."

The citation is:

Novas, F.E., Chatterjee, S., Rudra, D.K., and Datta, P.M. (2010) _Rahiolisaurus
gujaratensis_, n. gen. n. sp., A New Abelisaurid Theropod from the Late
Cretaceous of India.  In: S. Bandyopadhyay (ed.), New Aspects of Mesozoic
Biodiversity, Lecture Notes in Earth Sciences 132, DOI
10.1007/978-3-642-10311-7_3.  Chapter 3, pp.45-62. Springer-Verlag, Berlin
Heidelberg.

Thus, in the estimation of Novas et al. (2010), _Indosuchus_, _Indosaurus_ and
_Lametasaurus_ are all nomina dubia.  Novas et al. recognize only two
abelisaurid species from the Lameta Formation: the heavily built _Rajasaurus
narmadensis_ and the slender-limbed _Rahiolisaurus gujaratensis_.

Previously, Wilson et al. (2003) noted that certain elements in the
_Lametasaurus_ type material may be referrable to _Rajasaurus_; but they did
not formally sink _Lametasaurus_ as a nomen dubium.  It should be noted that
the _Lametasaurus_ type material (ilia, sacrum, tibia, scutes) is likely
chimeric, so even if certain elements are (a) diagnostic, and (b) belong to the
same taxon as _Rajasaurus_, then the name _Lametasaurus_ could be attached to
non-abelisaurid material (like the scutes).

Interestingly, the Rahioli abelisaur specimen ("Indosuchus") restored by
Chatterjee and Rudra (1996) included forelimb elements that Novas et al.
interpret as belonging to a juvenile titanosaur.  So no forelimb material is
known for _Rahiolisaurus_.  The _Rahiolisaurus_ material is associated, but
disarticulated, and from several individuals, but Novas et al. appear confident
in assigning all the Rahioli abelisaur material to a single taxon.

Cheers

Tim