Paul on Citipati

  Greg Paul has recently published a beautiful new Field Guild-style book
through Princeton's press, titled (amazingly) _The Princeton Field Guide to
Dinosaurs_. It's large, cheap, has been mentioned before on this list, and
boasts lots and lots of beautiful art.

  Unfortunately, I nor a few others cannot sing it full of praises. Paul has
lumped a number of taxa in the book, and the list is here at Mickey's blog:
http://theropoddatabase.blogspot.com/2010/08/gsps-new-taxon-combinations-from-his.html

  It seems anachronistic after a publication in which Paul split off several
iguanodont-grade ornithopods [1], especially since the justifications for some
of these are based on apparent "regional" or size-based variation, when in fact
he ignores various systematic works to achieve the synonymy (e.g.,
*Lourinhanosaurus antunesi* as *Allosaurus antunesi*). In a more personal case,
virtually all oviraptorids were lumped together (with the exception of [at the
time unpublished] *Banji long* and *Oviraptor philoceratops*) ... into
*Citipati*. I describe my take in more detail here:
http://qilong.wordpress.com/2010/08/03/what-is-citipati-gracilis/

[1] Paul, G. S. 2008. A revised taxonomy of the iguanodont dinosaur genera and
species. _Cretaceous Research_ 29(2):192-216.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)
  http://qilong.wordpress.com/