question for the ornithologists

Both HANZAB and Birds of the Western Palearctic, in their species descriptions,
frequently report the lengths of digits I, II and IV as percentages of the
lengths of digit III.  Nice.

Am I correct in assuming that these lengths are of the fleshy parts of the toes
only, excluding the claws?  I didn't see an explicit statement to that effect
in HANZAB, but the cassowary data make little sense otherwise. Thus in the
description of _Casuarius casuarius_ (p. 66, "structure"), it is reported that
the inner toe (II) is c. 60 % of the length of the middle toe (III).  this
would make little sense if the toe lengths included the claws.