Re: Double impact at K-T boundary ?

Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:

> 'The' Ukraine? As opposed to the other false Ukraines?
>
> For consistancy, shouldn't they have also written 'the
> Chicxulub', 'the Mexico' and 'the Boltysh'? :-)

:-)

Well, we (by which I mean the English-speaking world) do say "the Netherlands"
and "the Congo" and "the Gambia".  So the definite article is still retained in
the names of some countries.

Although apparently in the case of Ukraine, just "Ukraine" is preferred over
"the Ukraine" these days.  Similarly, "the Sudan" is going out of vogue in
favor of simply "Sudan".

But the Bronx will always be "the Bronx".   ;-)

Cheers

Tim