Re: Double impact at K-T boundary ?

Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:

> Technically it should only be used if there is a plural in the name of
> the country, such as 'The Netherlands' of 'The United States', or if
> there is an adjective or compound form, such as 'The United Kingdom'.
> Geographic regions that are not discrete countries also get away with it
> (the Arctic, for example).

Or "the Outback".   :-)

There are no hard-and-fast rules.  This is English, after all.  As languages
go, it's full of inconsistencies and contradictions.  Here in Australia, we say
"Western Australia", but "the Northern Territory".

> There are no articles in the Ukrainian language, so they themselves have
> certainly never called the country/region 'The Ukraine'. Even before its
> borders were more strictly defined in 1917, the definite article only
> appeared during the 20th century, and only in some English translations.

The name "Ukraine" appears to have begun as a vague geographic region before it
became a nation.  I think Sudan falls into the same category.

Besides, if we English-speakers were sticklers for the conventions of local
languages, we would be referring to Deutschland, Shqiperia, Hayastan and Misr
rather than Germany, Albania, Armenia and Egypt.  Old habits die hard.

Cheers

Tim