Re: Balaur bondac, the double-bladed dromaeosaurid of Transylvania!

On Tue, Aug 31st, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does not this make it more likely that the large digit II talon did
> not sliced? At least not for this dino...

It's unlikely that any dromaeosaur claws were used to 'slice'. Tearing or
puncturing are more likely
uses for any sort of claw. Slicing requires a sharpened edge, whereas keratin
doesn't hold an edge
very well (although it can form a sharp point).

How many Balaur feet have been recovered, I wonder? It'd be an immense stroke
of bad luck if
the only known pedal remains just happened to come from a polydactyl anomaly.

Dann Pigdon