Re: Balaur bondac, the double-bladed dromaeosaurid of Transylvania!

----- Original Message ----
From: Roberto Takata <rmtakata@gmail.com>

>> It has the usual number of digits; it's just that digit I is
>> hypertrophied like digit II. (Homeotic shift?)

>It doesn't seems to me to be hypertrophied. It seems just to be
>dislodged from the original position (maybe turned post mortem to
>front).

>The digit I talon is about 1/3 of the digit II talon well within the
>dromeosaurinae range. (See Fig. 12.6 in the The Dinosauria, 1990
>edition.)

It's difficult to say without measurements (ungual measurements are not
included
in the paper or in the supp info), but (based on my measurements for the claw
project) it is not unusual for dromaeosaurids to possess a D-I ungual that is
as
large or slightly larger (up to 20%) than D-III or D-IV. Typically the D-I
ungual is about the same size as the D-III or D-IV. As such, unless the D-I
ungual is more than 20% larger than the D-III ungual, it isn't anything
unusual.
D-I-1 (the non-ungual phalanx) does look large though.. surprisingly so given
how small the articulating end of MT-I looks.

DF

Denver Fowler
df9465@yahoo.co.uk
http://www.denverfowler.com