FW: Dinosaur Calendar Project

Just a quick note David. Darwin was of course born 12 Feb. 1809.
Jesus' birthday was celebrated 1st Jan., 21st Apr.and 1st May by
various Christian groups (in the 1st C A.D.) respectively. They
had long since lost the actual date (which some scholars are sug-
gesting was the August solstice since shephards were still tending
their sheep in the fields).

But why the 25th?? The Winter Solstice is the 21st!! It's
mundane but, the early astromoners had pretty crude tech and
most people barely noticed the ever so gradual lenghening of
the day by Dec. 25 ...... the "rebirth" of the Sun.

The problem we face today is identical to that of these early
Christian sects. They remained small and scattered because they
were actually AVOIDING 25th Dec. celebrations. The 25th Dec.
celebrations day was also known as SAVIOR DAY to the Romans,
Egyptians, Greeks and Persian Pagans, going back to Neolithic times.
Not 2,000 years ago but 5,000 to 9500 BCE. Until the Christians adopted
25th Dec. as their celebration "Savior Day" as well, and went into
competitive overdrive, they remained surprisingly small and ineffectual.
Once the Christians gave up trying to destroy that special day and adopt
it as their own, the Pagans found it a little easier to adopt Christianity
as one of their own as well. The Christian Faith was then naturally
selected for domination over a large chunk of the world.

It all goes to show that a celebration does not neccessarily have to be
configured to an exact birth date. What a man is known for is vastly
more important than his date of birth.

So. Ask yourself. How big is Darwin Day (12 Feb.)?? Its totally out of
sync with the Western world's economic/climatological celebrations isn't
it??

So. Again. What's in a date?? It would seem ....... a very, very great deal!!
We need to make the 25th Dec. celebrations ........ OURS!!

> Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 11:26:39 +0100
> From: david.marjanovic@gmx.at
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: FW: Dinosaur Calendar Project
>
>> For each day a reconstructed skull AND a life reconstruction of the
>> head one over top the other.
>
> Are there enough known skulls? The sauropods will be drastically
> underrepresented...
>
>> Put Darwin's photo on 25th Dec. (Darwin Day)
>
> What? That's Isaac Newton's birthday. It has nothing to do with Darwin
> as far as I know.
>
> When was Darwin & Wallace (1858) published...?

Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you’re up to on
Facebook.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9691816