Re: Dinosaur Calendar Project

quailspg@frii.com wrote:

> I am currently reading the journals of Arthur Lakes (DISCOVERING DINOSAURS
> IN THE OLD WEST, edited by Michael F. Kohl and John S. McIntosh, 1997) so
> here's a significant date:
> On March 27th, 1877, Arthur Lakes and Captain Henry C. Beckwith discovered
> the first dinosaur bones eroding out of a hogback near the little
> settlement of Morrison, Colorado.
>
> Er... I guess I mean the first big *Jurassic* dinosaurs... not the first
> *ever* dinosaurs. Or were there Jurassic or Morrison Formation aged
> dinosaurs discovered elsewhere before that? A little help from the List on
> this?

I think this is basically "first Morrison dinosaur bones"; if memory
serves, these were the specimens that got Cope & Marsh interested in
looking for dinos in that area.

> Another question for the List:
> When was the Morrison Formation named? It was named after the town and not
> vice versa, right?

Yes, the Formation is named after the town. Standard stratigraphic
practice is to name a formation  or other lithostratigraphic unit after a
geographic locality (typically a town) near the stratotype section (the
lithostratigraphic equivalent to a holotype specimen).

--
Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084

http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc