[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Subject Index][Author Index]

FW: OT Re: FW: Dinosaur Calendar Project



Hi Tim.
 
I don't disagree with your pronouncement that the Roman Empire was pushing
for Christianity but the reasons were quite intriguing. I read that a long
term stategy had been developed to wrestle control from the other competetive
Pagan groups by replacing them in the Senate, one after the other. A brilliant
stategy if true. Surrounding the Emperors one by one by an ever growing circle
of Christian Senators. (Not entirely unlike the Vatican's encirclement by more
and more Cardinals who are accepting of evolutionary theory). History is 
beginning
to repeat itself. Both Popes (Paul and Benedict) have told Catholics world-wide
that to remain true to their Faith, they must accept Darwinism ...... to the 
point
that all dioceces world-wide must set aside 12th Feb. as Darwin Day. Each Pope 
is
really a modern day Roman Emperor. Each tries to assert the Vatican in the 
scientific
world which in turn has lately given "Christian" evolutionary scientists 
considerable 
leaverage within the Vatican. Pronouncements are done by fiat. The Vatican is 
terrified
at any possibility of appearing "non-scientific" to the world and their 
followers.
They have to be seen as leaders (a difficult balancing act with one foot in 
each camp).
 
I very strongly suspect that Darwin will become the 1st Secular Saint. At least 
its
heading in this direction. Darwin and miracles don't mix. But. Darwin's work 
with
Children's Rights and his stand against slavery will come into play very soon. 
As
this begins to solidify, much more support (from former Darwinian "enemies") to 
science
may play out. 
 
There are no real enemies to Darwinism ...... only misunderstandings.
----------------------------------------
> Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 15:50:21 -0800
> From: tijawi@yahoo.com
> Subject: OT Re: FW: Dinosaur Calendar Project
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> CC: wdm1949@hotmail.com; tijawi@yahoo.com
>
> I found this post quite interesting, especially the point about shepherds 
> tending their sheep in August (rather than December). However, I disagree 
> with a few of the assertions raised...
>
>
> dale mcinnes">
>> The problem we face today is identical to that of these early
>> Christian sects. They remained small and scattered because they
>> were actually AVOIDING 25th Dec. celebrations. The 25th Dec.
>> celebrations day was also known as SAVIOR DAY to the Romans,
>> Egyptians, Greeks and Persian Pagans, going back to
>> Neolithic times.
>
>
> The major problem with this "Savior Day" scenario is that throughout the 
> history of the Roman Empire there was no definitive pagan religion. There 
> were a great many diverse pagan religions encouraged or tolerated by the 
> Roman state. Alongside the classical polytheistic religion adapted from the 
> Greeks (Jupiter, Venus, Mars, etc), there were many other pagan cults, many 
> of them of 'eastern' origin: Mithras, Isis, El-Gabal, Zoroastrianism (along 
> the frontier with Persia), etc.
>
>
> Sun worship became increasingly popular in the Late Roman Empire; but AFAIK 
> this is the only pagan religion in the Roman Empire that placed such great 
> emphasis on the Winter Solstice. It was my impression that Christians adopted 
> Dec 25 as their holy day because of the specific precedent set by solar 
> worship, as the Festival of Sol Invictus, given how prevalent solar worship 
> was at the time.
>
>
>> Until the Christians adopted
>> 25th Dec. as their celebration "Savior Day" as well, and
>> went into competitive overdrive, they remained surprisingly small and
>> ineffectual. Once the Christians gave up trying to destroy that special
>> day and adopt it as their own, the Pagans found it a little easier to
>> adopt Christianity as one of their own as well. The Christian Faith was
>> then naturally selected for domination over a large chunk of the world.
>
>
> This is an intriguing argument, but I'm afraid I don't believe any of it. The 
> reason why Christianity 'took off' as a world religion (at the expense of 
> paganism) is because of the systematic and relentless promotion offered to 
> the Christian Church by the Roman Empire in the 4th century onwards. 
> Beginning with the Emperor Constantine I and his sons, and followed with 
> increased fervor by the next imperial dynasty (House of Valentinian), the 
> Christian Church was especially favored by the Roman imperial administration, 
> both morally and (more importantly) financially. Under the Christian emperors 
> the Roman state became increasingly intolerant of pagan cults (as well as 
> Judaism).
>
>
> Although the Western Roman Empire collapsed in the 5th century AD, western 
> Europe had been thoroughly Christianized by this time, with various Christian 
> states (mostly Roman Catholic) emerging in its place. The Eastern Roman 
> Empire lived on as the Byzantine Empire, until the 15th century, as an 
> Orthodox Christian state; this version of Christianity was passed by the 
> Byzantines on to the Russians and Bulgars, among others. The Western world 
> inherited many of the traditions of the Roman empire, including Christianity. 
> Thus, Christianity became a major world religion.
>
>
> Cheers
>
> Tim
>
>
>                                         
_________________________________________________________________
Eligible CDN College & University students can upgrade to Windows 7 before Jan 
3 for only $39.99. Upgrade now!
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9691819