Cetiosauriscus (was RE: Sauropod name corrections)

_C. leedsi_ and _C. stewarti_ cannot be synonymous.  Here's the timeline, as I
understand it:

(1) _Cetiosaurus leedsi_ (= _Cetiosauriscus leedsi_) was originally named
_Ornithopsis leedsi_ by Hulke (1887).  Hulke based his species on fragmentary
material (BMNH R1984â1988).

(2) Woodward (1905) assigned a second specimen (a partial skeleton, BMNH R3078)
to _O. leedsi_.  In the same study, Woodward referred the species to
_Cetiosaurus_, thereby creating the new combination _C. leedsi_.

(3) Huene (1927) referred _C. leedsi_ to a new genus, _Cetiosauriscus_.  This
created the new combination _Cetiosauriscus leedsi_.

(4) Charig (1980) removed BMNH R3078 from _C. leedsi_ and assigned it to a new
species, which he named _Cetiosauriscus stewarti_.

(5) McIntosh (1990) referred _Cetiosaurus longus_ (named by Owen, 1841) to
_Cetiosauriscus_, creating the new combination _Cetiosauriscus longus_.

(6) Charig (1993) proposed that _C. stewarti_ be designated the type species
for _Cetiosauriscus_.  His petition to the ICZN to have _C. stewarti_ replace
_C. leedsi_ as the type species for _Cetiosauriscus_ (Case 2876) was approved
in 1995 (Opinion 1801).  Thus, _C. stewarti_ is the official type species for
_Cetiosauriscus_.

(7) In their review of the genus _Cetiosaurus_, Upchurch and Martin (2003)
reject the referral of _C. leedsi_ and _C. longus_ to _Cetiosauriscus_, and
regard both species as nomina dubia.  By contrast, _C. stewarti_ is regarded as
a valid species, possibly a basal diplodocoid (Upchurch, 1995).

t his 1927b paper
> explained it
> better. Charig, 1980  followed his first paper and
> renamed the species to
> stewarti. This is unwarranted because genera can have the
> same species name
> and is here emended back to Huene's original description.
>

> Genus: Cetiosauriscus HUENE, 1927
>
> C? longus (OWEN, 1842) (nomen dubium)
>
> = Cetiosaurus longus OWEN, 1842 (nomen dubium)
>
> C .leedsi HUENE, 1927 (Type)
>
> = Cetiosauriscus stewarti CHARIG, 1980
>
> = Cetiosaurus leedsi WOODWARD, 1905  non HULKE, 1887
>

> Laplatasaurus HUENE, 1927a (nomen nudum)
>
> = Laplatasaurus HUENE, 1929
>
> Antarctosaurus HUENE, 1927a (nomen nudum)
>
> = Antarctosaurus HUENE, 1929
>

> Laplatasaurus HUENE, 1927a is often listed as the year for
> the genera being
> named as is Antarctosaurus. But he goes onto
> explain.Laplatasaurus and
> Antarctosaurus are new genera; they will soon be published
> in the Anales del
> Museo de La Plata. Since no diagnosis or species names were
> given that year
> the names should be a nomen nudum and the correct year for
> the published
> species and genera should be 1929 and to follow Steel,
> 1970.
>

> Antarctosaurus HUENE, 1929
>
> = Antarctosaurus HUENE, 1927 (nomen nudum)
>
> A. wichmannianus HUENE, 1929 (Type)
>
> Laplatasaurus HUENE, 1929
>
> = Laplatasaurus HUENE, 1927 (nomen nudum)
>
> L. araukanicus HUENE, 1929 (Type)
>

> Charig, A. J., 1980, A diplodocid Sauropod from the Lower
> Cretaceous of
> England: In: Aspects of Vertebrate History, Essays in Honor
> of Edwin Harris
> Colbert, editor Jacobs, L. L., MNA Press, p. 230-244. (
>

> Huene, F. von, 1927a, Sichtung der Grundlagen der Jetzigen
> Kenntnis der
> Sauropoden: Eclogae geologicae Helvetiae, v. 20, p.
> 444-470.
>

> Huene, F. von, 1927b, Short review of the present knowledge
> of the
> Sauropoda: Memories of the Queensland Museum, v. 9, p.
> 121-126.
>

> Huene, F. von, 1929, Los Saurisquios y Ornithisquios de
> Cretaceo Argentino:
> Anales Museo de La Pla
 2, n. 3, p. 1-196.